and church fittings
Holy Trinity is renowned for its beautifully tasteful devotional artefacts and church fittings. Descriptions are awaiting checking of facts before being completed and photographs are to be added. They'll be worth waiting for!
Main artefacts and fittings are:
Altar and reredos: original fittings by C. E. Kempe, 1878. Reredos features Nativity scene bordered by representations of the four evangelists. Donated by
Bible: lectern-sized, leather-bound Holy Bible, with cover embossed: "Presented to the new Scotch Episcopal Chapel of Stirling on the 25 March 1795 by William Rind Esqr, Purser on the service of the Honble the East India Company". This item is not kept in the church and can only be seen by special arrangement.
Bishop's chair and prie-dieu: original fittings, 1878. Donated by Mr and Mrs Couper of Craigforth
Book of Common Prayer: lectern-sized, leather-bound Book of Common Prayer, with cover embossed: "Presented to the new Scotch Episcopal Chapel of Stirling on the 25 March 1795 by William Rind Esqr, Purser on the service of the Honble the East India Company". This item is not kept in the church and can only be seen by special arrangement.
Chancel floor and screen: by Robert S. Lorimer, 1921. Black and white Belgian and Carrara marble floor, with wrought-iron screen.
Choir stalls: original fittings, 1878. Pensacola red pine. The congregation would have preferred oak, but this proved to be too expensive.
Font and ewer: original fittings, 1878. Donated by Mrs Elizabeth Honeyman Gillespie in memory of her husband, William Honeyman Gillespie. Commemorative wall plaque above the west door.
Holy Trinity Primary School tableau: this tableau was created by pupils of Holy Trinity Primary School to celebrate its 150th anniversary and presented to the church as a farewell gift shortly before the school's closure in 2004.
Lectern: original fitting, 1877. Upper inscription reads: "O send out thy light and thy truth" (Psalm 43:3). Lower inscription reads: "In memory of George Stirling Home Drummond of Blair Drummond, one of the founders of this church. Offered by Kalitza Home Drummond, All Souls Day 1877."
Memorial Chapel altar and fittings: by Robert S. Lorimer, 1920-21. marble altar and floor, oak panelled walls with carved Roll of Honour and oak ceiling. Altar inscribed: "He ever liveth to make intercession for us" (Hebrews 7:25).
Organ: built by Conacher, 1878; rebuilt by Binns, Fitton & Haley, 1935; reconstructed by David Loosly, 1979-81.
Prints: hanging in the porch, these two prints depict incidents in the history of the Scottish Episcopal Church.
Pulpit: original fitting, 1878. Marble and alabaster. Donated by Mrs Ernald Smith, ne้ Murray, one of the Murrays of Polmaise. She also gave a set of tubular bells, which are no longer in use.
Stations of the Cross (large set): 1930s style. Details to follow.
Stations of the Cross (small set): Modern style. Details to follow.