Holy Trinity Scottish Episcopal Church, Stirling

Holy Trinity Scottish

Episcopal Church Archives

Holy Trinity's extensive church archives are now in the care of Stirling Council's Archives Service. 

The Rector is also willing to assist with research queries. To contact her, please follow this link.  

History of the Episcopal Church in Stirling

This account includes an extensive revision of material from The Episcopal Church in Stirling: A Centenary Brochure for Holy Trinity 1878-1978, compiled by C. E. Saunders B.A., supplemented by much new research. Please follow the links below for a detailed narrative of each period in our church's history:

The church in Stirling before 1694

The suffering century: 1694-1795

The Episcopal Chapel, Barnton Street: 1795-1845

Trinity Church, Barnton Street: 1845-1878

Holy Trinity Church, Albert Place: 1878 onwards

History of the Scottish Episcopal Church

A Church for ScotlandPlease follow this link to A Church for Scotland by Rev. Gerald Stranraer-Mull, an excellent short history of the Scottish Episcopal Church from the earliest times to the present day.

For more detail of the church's history in the 19th and 20th centuries, we recommend the books Steps to Freedom and The Scottish Episcopal Church in the Twentieth Century by Rt Rev. Edward Luscombe, formerly Bishop of Brechin and Primus.

These three books can be ordered online from Cornerstone Bookshop for a total price of around £10.00. If they don't all appear on Cornerstone's website, please e-mail edinburgh@cornerstone books.org.uk.